[In-person] SFC Manager-In-Charge Regime Roundtable – Virtual Asset Service Providers
Virtual asset intermediaries previously unregulated are entering a new world of obligations once they seek to become licensed. The senior management of licensed firms bears the key responsibility for the governance, risk and compliance management of their firms.
Coming from areas of the financial services industry beyond the regulatory perimeter, many senior managers of virtual asset service providers (VASP) will be unfamiliar with their responsibilities and the SFC’s expectations.
The key topics to be covered:
• Refresher on the key objectives of the MIC regime, the requirements of core functions, and what constitutes its fully mature implementation;
• Recent enforcement actions on MICs taken by the SFC and overseas regulators, and the implications for MICs of VASPs;
• The regulatory expectations for MICs in discharging their duties, especially for the virtual assets-related operations and in dealing with SFC supervisory actions;
• Overview of the VASP regime and responsibilities of MICs in ensuring their firm’s compliance with the key requirements;
• MICs’ roles and responsibilities in relation to specific areas such as the operation of bank accounts, operational resilience, electronic data storage providers, operational disruptions, financial distress and their implications in the context of VASPs; and
• Roundtable discussion on key challenges faced by MICs and senior management.
Senior management (including MICs) of licensed corporations and VASP license applicants, and compliance officers