Green Bonds and Loans – An Introduction for Investors
The development of the green finance market has accelerated exponentially in the last few years since the introduction of the Green Bond Principles in 2014. In 2017, global issuance of green bonds reached more than US$150bln, driven in large part by growth in the Chinse market. The Hong Kong SAR government and regulators have recently lent tremendous support towards Green Finance. We will address some of the questions investors may be asking as they consider diversification into green finance.
- What exactly are green bonds?
- What are the reasons for investors to diversify in green finance?
- How do investors evaluate whether a green bond is actually green?
- How do the economics and credit of green bonds and loans differ from “vanilla” finance?
- Where is the market going in Hong Kong, China, and the rest of Asia?
Financial Incentive Scheme of the WAM Pilot Programme
Eligible in-service practitioners of the financial services industry could apply for reimbursement of 80% of the course fees, subject to a maximum of HK$7,000 (whichever is lower) upon satisfactory completion of a course / seminar / conference over the three-year period of the Scheme.
Each individual may apply for reimbursement for more than one course / seminar / conference.
Application to reimburse the course fees, together with the required documents, must be submitted within four months from the last day of the course / seminar / conference attended. Please refer to the WAM Pilot Programme website for more details.