Fintech - Part 2 (2021)
This eCourse consists of three modules on Cryptography, Blockchain and Crypto assets. Cryptography plays a critical role in many contemporary financial technologies, underpinning a wide range of financial applications from secure cash transfers to blockchain. Therefore, it is important for financial professionals to understand the basics of modern cryptography. Blockchain technology has found an increasing number of applications in finance. While cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin remain the most well-known use of blockchain, the technology is increasingly used in areas such as trade finance, investment banking, and elsewhere. Among the use of blockchain and ledger technologies is the creation of digital assets with certain unique features - crypto assets, these are applications of distributed ledgers that are designed as a medium of exchange or store of wealth, although their infrastructure may be used for other purposes. The most prominent of these is Bitcoin, but there are many other examples.
Module 1 provides an overview of cryptography, covering three key cryptographic tools, and examining the role of cryptography in financial technology (FinTech).
Module 2 provides an overview of blockchain technology, explaining the underlying structure of the blockchain and the role that cryptography plays in ensuring its security and integrity.
Module 3 provides an overview of crypto assets, and explores the functionality of Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, and others.
On completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Define secret key cryptography and identify its uses
- Define public key cryptography and list its functions
- Define hash functions and recognize their role in secure messaging systems
- Define crypto assets and distinguish them from other digital assets
- List the steps in a Bitcoin transaction and identify potential issues that may arise within the Bitcoin network
- Compare Ethereum, Ripple, and Bitcoin and recognize the differences in how their networks operate
Module 1 - Cryptography
Topic 1: Cryptography Overview
Topic 2: Secret Key Cryptography
Topic 3: Public Key Cryptography
Topic 4: Hash Functions
Module 2 - Blockchain - Primer
Module 3 - Crypto Assets
Topic 1: Crypto Assets Overview
Topic 2: Bitcoin
Topic 3: Other Coins