Asset Allocation - Part 1 (2020)
This eCourse consists of two modules on asset management and asset allocation. Asset management is the management of portfolios of assets by professional firms serving institutional, high net worth (HNW), and retail clients. Asset allocation is the process of dividing an investment portfolio among different categories of asset, such as stocks, bonds, and cash.
Module 1 provides an overview of the structure and activities of a typical asset management firm, including its clients, products, and services. The current state of the global asset management industry is also discussed.
Module 2 looks at the importance of asset allocation in meeting investor risk tolerance and return objectives. Different asset classes and subclasses are examined. The key role played by portfolio diversification and different asset allocation approaches are also discussed.
On completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the key client sectors of the asset management industry
- Interpret the concepts of asset allocation, as well as passive and active management
- List the main types of investment vehicle used in the asset management industry
- Recognise the current state of play in the asset management space and future industry trends
- List the different classes and subclasses of asset
- Recognise the importance of asset allocation in creating a well-diversified portfolio
- Identify the different approaches to asset allocation
Module 1: Business of Asset Management
Topic 1: Asset Management Overview
Topic 2: Strategies & Tactics
Topic 3: Investment Funds
Topic 4: Asset Management Industry
Module 2: Asset Allocation - An Introduction
Topic 1: Basics of Asset Allocation
Topic 2: Portfolio Diversification
Topic 3: Asset Allocation Strategies