Legal Issues of Bitcoin, Initial Coin Offerings (ICO) and Other "Cryptocurrencies"
The popularity of Bitcoin has inspired the introduction of other cryptocurrencies and given rise to initial coin (or token) offerings (ICO), which are typically online fundraising activities for blockchain technology-related projects. Although certain ICOs have made the headlines by raising millions of dollars within minutes or hours, from an investor's perspective, participating in an ICO may pose significant legal risks.
- Legal issue of “Bitcoin” and concept of “Blockchain”
- What is a cryptocurrency or a digital token?
- Legal Risks and Analysis of Digital Coins: Possible scams
- Risks associated with money laundering, terrorist financing or misuse for criminal activities
- Platform risk
- Wallet security
- Highly volatile and speculative
- Liquidity risk
- Cross-border risk
- Are digital tokens/cryptocurrencies and ICOs regulated in Hong Kong and other jurisdictions?
Who should attend
All individuals who are interested in knowing the risks associated with ICO and cryptocurrencies.
Before Mr. So joined the legal profession, he had been one of the team members of a financial regulatory authority, responsible for conducting criminal investigation, handling litigation and disciplinary-related professional proceedings. Throughout his professional time as a regulator, he had personally handled over 800 financial disputes and their relevant litigations.